Friday, November 20, 2009

New Moon: The Reviews Are In!

From MTV.com/movies:
Nov 20 2009 9:21 AM EST

'New Moon': The Reviews Are In!
Still on the fence about the 'Twilight' sequel? Maybe the critics will help.
By Eric Ditzian

It's Friday morning, and the opening midnight screenings of "New Moon" have come and gone. But it's not just devoted vampire lovers and werewolf fiends who got early looks at the film. Premieres and screenings have taken place across the country, and loads of folks have already been able to see this sequel to Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" vampire series.

Now, let's be honest, if you're a committed Twilighter, you surely already plunked down some cash for an opening weekend trip to the cinema and are counting the minutes until showtime. Or maybe you're sitting on the "Twilight" fence, unsure if all the breathless enthusiasm for Edward and Bella can possibly live up to the hype. Well, the "New Moon" reviews have flooded in to help you decide. Agree or disagree, here are what the critics are saying about the film.

Perhaps the most notable difference between "Twilight" and "New Moon" — aside from Taylor Lautner's new muscles — is the look and style of the film after a new director came on board the franchise. "Director Chris Weitz ('The Golden Compass') has crafted a film with visual flair and polish, particularly in the action sequences of werewolves vs. vampires," writes USA Today's Claudia Puig. "Fortunately, he is more sparing with the tight close-ups and swirling shots that typified 'Twilight' director Catherine Hardwicke's dizzying style."

And then, of course, there are the film's three leads. Not all critics were taken with their performances, but many gave them props. "Kristen Stewart is a little twitchy ('Can't she get through one scene without playing with her hair?' a friend of mine sniped afterward) but her antics and moody moping are perfectly appropriate to the troubled-teen character," declares Stephen Whitty of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. "As for her co-stars — well, they do exactly what they need to do, which is embody two separate kinds of wish-fulfillments for the fans. A newly buff Taylor Lautner is hunky, often shirtless — and very much the Bad Boy (complete with motorcycle and delinquent friends) every girl is warned about. And Robert Pattinson — all tousled locks and malnourished torso — has all the troubled anguish of the Sensitive Soul No One Understands."

Our own Kurt Loder was thrilled to see Lautner take over from Pattinson for the large part of the movie. "Last year's sensitive hunk, with his pasty face and glum, mopey demeanor, is no match for this year's actual hunk; and Jacob — vibrant, funny, and madly muscular — romps off with the picture," he says.

The supporting cast come in for especially high praise. "Michael Sheen takes a break from playing historical figures like David Frost and Tony Blair and gets to overact shamelessly as Aro, the head of the vampire council known as the Volturi," says the Boston Globe's Ty Burr. "Better yet, there's Dakota Fanning, God bless her, showing Stewart how it's done in one nifty scene as a vampirette with sadistic mental powers and old-school movie presence. Anna Kendrick also walks away with her one scene as Bella's tart high school pal, Jessica."

While many critics acknowledge how the film serves its base, they argue that "New Moon" won't hit home for those less familiar with franchise mythology. "[E]xpect this film to satisfy its fans," explains Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everybody else, get ready for a bizarre soap opera/pageant, consisting of a succession of static scenes with characters loping into the frame to announce exactly what they're thinking. Then they spell out their personalities for us. Here is an emotionally tortured vampire. Here is a perky, friendly vampire. And don't forget the vampire who is a dedicated physician."

So while not every critic may get the "Twilight" phenomenon, fans undoubtedly will. " 'New Moon' is not all love and hisses," says the Toronto Star's Peter Howell. "Although tangled romance is more the emphasis this time out — 'Romeo and Juliet' allusions are driven home like a stake through the heart — there are action set pieces designed to thrill genre movie lovers. They'll likely scare the daylights out of everyone else."


So what did you think????

26 comments:

Tara D. said...

I actually really liked it. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but the movie exceeded them for sure. And I definitely liked the new director's style; this was done much better than Twilight. Two thumbs up for this Twilight lovin' gal!

Trivela7 said...

I watched last night in a premiere here in Portugal. I'm a twilight saga fan and I loved the movie. It's much doifferent from Twilight, we totally see that the director has changed in this one. And in my opinion the plot pretty much follows the book and I liked that. Taylor did a great job and so did Kristen...Edward is just Edward (fine as ever)! And of course I loved the Volturi they really look like royalty, Dakota was stunning!
I loved the movie adn I'm gonna hit the movies and watch again for sure =)

CountessLaurie said...

I really liked it. Jacob and the pack did a great job!! (And I am team Edward :-) Loved the ending too!!

222 days til Eclipse !!

Sally Loftis said...

I thought it was really good. So much better than the first one. Although, I thought Taylor's acting wasn't as strong as the rest of the cast. Great set-up for Eclipse!!

emily said...

i loved the move i thought it was really awesome!!!!!!

Danielle said...

LOVED IT! That about sums it up. I can't believe they ended it that way though! Oh my goodness I mean we know what happens but still...

Bitten said...

For me, Team Jacob, it was amazing. Taylors transformation before and after he turned, WOW. I cried 2 times, knew I would. My heart goes out to Jacob but it did reinforce the Bella/Edward love story. But, the love triangle is now on the screen and out of the books. Yea, the wolf pack were amazing. Those Italian vampires are just scarey...I could smell the moth balls lol.

Anonymous said...

I went to the premiere and all i can say is FANTASTIC. Better than the first one. Literally could not stop crying all the way through. The last line is so beautiful. I guess we have to wait for Eclipse now. Let the countdown begin....

stephanie said...

I went at midnight and waited for two hours last night. I thought that it was AWESOME. like everyone is saying..so much better than the first. I think the letters to Alice was an awesome touch. it was amazing. Im going to see it again in a few days. Team Jacob!

Janelle said...

I absolutely looved it! Taylor wowed me once again by bringing such life to Jacob, just as I would have imagined in the book. adorable. The ending cliffhanger totally sucked for us but is awesome for the producers cuz I cannot wait for Eclipse this June, especially since it was my fave book of the series. For those of you who haven't seen it, you're in for a real treat (and I'm not just talking about eye candy Taylor Lautner and his eight pack-God bless his soul!!)

Anonymous said...

Loved it! The story line was followed as closely as you can expect, few added touches helped make it a better movie. Can't wait for Eclipse so we can see more wolves and vampires, I missed the Cullen's presence but what do you expect for a 2 hr film, can't have it all, but overall great compromise and film. Thank You Chris Weitz for your touch to it and again Thank you SM for a life changing book series!

Clerice said...

I absolutely loved it! I had to wait until 3AM to see it with friends then went back at 7PM with family! Chris Weitz did an amazing job along with the actors of course, they fit into their characters perfectly! The wolves were Beautiful and Edward and Bella still stunning! Can't wait for Eclipse and hopefully Breaking Dawn!!

stefff said...

LOOOOOOOVED IT!!!!
Definitely served twi-fan expectation!! Everything I pictured while reading the book was there!
The whole vibe of the film was amazing!!!

So ready for Eclipse!! It just keeps getting BETTER!! Chris Weitz...rules!
Can't wait to pre-order!

Bitten said...

stefff...you put it right, the entire movie had a vibe. Thanks for setting to pen what I coudln't...vibe yea, and a great one.

Little Lovables said...

I loved it. I think the first had more mood setting with the romance and the theme running throughout, but overall, I really, really liked it!!

The vamps sparkle was so much better and Aro was perfect.

I DIDN"T like Alice looking like Driving Miss Daisy grandma woman the whole time. What was that about?

EMMY said...

ome!i loved the the movie.my favorite part was the end.TEAM EDWARD ALL THR WAY!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i liked it but i thought it was rushed.the bday scene was, well not acted very well. me n my bffs laughed wen edwrd said he didnt love bella i actully shamefully admit that i laughed the whole movie...... but i did reely like wen jacob n bella were in the rain n wen bella was lik "dnt kill him....plzz plzz no! kill me kil me" i cried in that part i thought it was reely good too. i dint lik at the end wen bella was lik to jacob "dnt make me choose. it will be him. ti always will be" i was lik a cnt beblive she just said that. i liked the way the wrked in how the months passed by i thought that was pretty kewl!

Anonymous said...

it was amazin but i wasnt a fan of the letters to alice wat is that about? i meen "dear alice ur gone. hes gone. im finall y goin crazy, which is ok i guess" n wat was with her goin on the mottor cylce wit the dude wsnt a fan of that. i thought it was funny wen mike was lik" so bellas back? mabey u wanna go to see a movie?" i luv that guy hes so funny

Anonymous said...

i have so many things to say.. but to sum it up: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP

new moon was my favourite boook and i loooooooooved the movie!!! A M A M A Z I N G

Miller-Elizabeth said...

I have to say, new moon was amazing! Soo much better than twilight. I'm sorry Catherine but chris did a better job. This movie made me realize that Edward and Bella have different skin tones,unlike twilight. My favorite parts are the movie,when she tells him that she can let him go(volterra) and the ending. It was sonabrupt and it got me mad but I love the way he says,"Marry Me." and she just gasps a little. Too abrupt for me and the transitions weren't so smooth but I bet the deleted and extended scenes will be cool too.

Anonymous said...

IT WAS AWDOME!!! But the ending was the most worst, suspensful,best ending ever(MARY ME*gasp*screen goes black) at the end everyone in the theater was like "AWWWWWWWWWWW why did it have to end!"

XxX-nellie-XxX said...

I went to see it a few hours ago totaly amazing. I really love how they ended it tho now am all excited about eclipse and it dose'nt come out till july next year.

XxX-nellie-XxX

Bitten said...

"Letters To Alice" I believe was the directors way of inserting most of the book dialogue about how Bella was feeling, the emotions etc. and not sucking up too much screen time on that part of the book. It was actually sort of beautiful...cough cough

Bitten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

omg it was my top fave movie i bet eclipse will be much better though

Mill said...

OMFG when do you think it'll come out on dvd?? Stephenie Meyer and Chris Weitz, if i had a hat i'd take it off to you .